WOW, what a night!!!! Inspired Homes WA were honoured to be awarded 6 awards at...
BIG SPRING IDEAS!
Hands up if you’re guilty of accumulating a household full of junk that you never seem to use that much. If you’ve just raised your hand, it’s okay, you’re definitely not the only one!
Once you have a house of your own, it seems to have an almost magical ability to fill itself up with things that you don’t really need or want. Cupboards, drawers, pantries and other storage spaces end up filled to the brim with old charging cables for phones, birthday cards and lids for containers you can’t find (but don’t want to get rid of in case you do).
Spring is a great time to get on top of all of this clutter, before it ends up clogging up your living space and making your home a lot less comfortable, less functional and less enjoyable to live in.
Even if your home isn’t necessarily what you’d call “messy” or “dirty”, taking the time to thoroughly clean and organise everything once a year can help to avoid your life becoming clogged up with the sort of random junk we mentioned earlier. In fact, it’s often not until after you’ve done a good clean, sort and organise of your house that you realise how much it was getting in the way!
A great first step to maintaining a neat, tidy and organised home is to choose a design that has intelligent storage space options (such as a scullery and/or mudroom) which will make it easier to keep your belongings stashed away.
Beyond that, it’s all about putting in the time and effort to keep your home clean, functional and pleasurable to live in. If you like the sound of that, make sure you check out our expert spring cleaning guide below.
1. STEP 1 – SET ASIDE SOME TIME!
Don’t be fooled into thinking this task will be done in an hour or so. Once you start, you are going to find yourself like Alice down the rabbit hole with no way back! But allowing yourself a solid start over a weekend and a couple of hours a day for the rest of the week, you will be surprised how quickly you can wrap the task up and be able to enjoy the fruits of your labour!
2. STEP 2 – GET RID OF THE CLUTTER!
The most important step in a proper spring clean is to get rid of all the clutter that’s accumulated over the previous year. Trust us, it’s going to be more than you think!
- Attack your wardrobe: getting rid of clothes you don’t wear is a huge part of spring cleaning and will free up a surprising amount of room. If you’re looking for some guidance on how to do this, try applying the popular KonMari method.
- Skip the sentimental items: while you’re cleaning out your clutter, it can be tempting to hold onto things for sentimental reasons. Try and be quite brutal and only hold onto things that have a great deal of sentimental value. If you can’t decide, put things in a “maybe” box that you can pack away and sort through later when you have more time.
3. STEP 3 – UPDATE & MAXIMISE YOUR STORAGE SPACE
Clearing the clutter is a great first step, but if you really want to make your spring cleaning efforts effective then you should go the extra step and think of ways that you can improve your storage options and keep things even more organised than they were before.
- Transform dead space: empty areas can be transformed into useful storage space by installing shelves and baskets.
- Think vertical: organising and storing items vertically (with furniture that utilises stackable units and modular components) can help save loads of space in every room of your home.
- Maximise your existing storage space: whether it’s cupboards, wardrobes, sculleries or mudrooms – chances are there are more efficient ways to utilise the storage space you already have available. Adding shelving units and storage racks can help to eliminate wasted space.
4. STEP 4 – GET STUCK IN WITH A DEEP CLEAN!
Now that your home is neaty, tidy and organised, it’s time to make it all sparkle with a properly good clean. However, there are a few things to keep in mind if you want to clean in the most efficient and effective manner
- Do the dusting first: dusting kicks up a load of dirt that will get over everything, so it should always be done first. Start up high with hard-to-reach areas like ceiling fans and the tops of cupboards and wardrobe (using an extendable duster is a good idea) and work your way down to ground level.
- Don’t neglect your furniture: it’s not just the floors, walls and surfaces that should be cleaned. Just think of all the crumbs, dust, dirt and other allergens that have built up in your couch over the last year. Try renting and upholstery cleaning machine to give it a proper deep clean.
- Flip & air out your mattress: it’s not pleasant to think about, but mattresses tend to accumulate lots of dead skin, sweat and dust. Vacuum it thoroughly on both sides and put it outside (on a clean surface) where it’ll be exposed to lots of sunlight and fresh air.
5. STEP 5 – ENJOY YOUR NEW SPACE
There really is nothing like the cathartic feeling you get when you’ve done a properly good spring clean and your entire home is neat, organised and sparkling clean!
At Inspired Homes, designs like our Casablanca, Oasis, Grayson and Dualis include lots of clever design and storage features like sculleries, mudrooms and spacious wardrobes to help make keeping your home tidy and organised as easy as possible throughout the year.
And don’t forget to check out our BLOOMING BIG SPRING BONUS https://www.inspiredhomes.net.au/promotions/ should you decide that you have outgrown your home and its time to upgrade! Get in touch today to find out more!
The Garden House series, made in partnership with Stockland and the Western Australian Department of...
So, you’ve made the decision that it’s time to buy a new home. Perhaps you’re...
Spring is a great time to Spring Clean and get on top of all of this clutter, before it ends up clogging up your living space and making your home a lot less comfortable, less functional and less enjoyable to live in.